Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A surprise in the peninsular – Fleur Adcock

A surprise in the peninsular – Fleur Adcock

When I cam in that night I found
the skin of a dog stretched flat
and nailed upon my wall between the
two windows. It seemed freshly killed –
there was blood at the edges. Not
my dog: I have never owned one,
I rather dislike them. (Perhaps
whoever did it knew that.) It
was a light brown dog, with smooth hair;
no head, but the tail still remained.
On the flat surface of the pelt
was branded the outline of the
peninsula, singed in thick black
strokes into the fur: a coarse map.
The position of the town was
marked by a bullet-hole; it went
right through the wall. I placed my eye
to it, and could see the dark trees
outside the house, flecked with moonlight.
I locked the door then, and sat up
all night, drinking small cups of the
bitter local coffee. A dog
would have been useful, I thought, for
protection. But perhaps the one
I had been given performed that
function; for no one came that night,
nor for three more. On the fourth day
it was time to leave. The dog-skin
still hung on the wall, stiff and dry
by now, the flies and the smell gone.
Could it, I wondered, have been meant
not as a warning, but a gift?
And, scarcely shuddering, I drew out
the nails out and took it with me.




O'Sullivan, V. (Ed.). (1979). An anthology of twentieth century New Zealand poetry. Wellington: Oxford University Press.

1 comment:

  1. There are a few typos in this version. The correct one is here:
    A Surprise in the Peninsular Fleur Adcock

    When I came in that night I found
    the skin of a dog stretched flat and
    nailed upon my wall between the
    two windows. It seemed freshly killed –
    there was blood at the edges. Not
    my dog: I have never owned one,
    I rather dislike them. (Perhaps
    whoever did it knew that.) It
    was a light brown dog, with smooth hair;
    no head, but the tail still remained.
    On the flat surface of the pelt
    was branded the outline of the
    peninsula, singed in thick black
    strokes into the fur: a coarse map.
    The position of the town was
    marked by a bullet-hole; it went
    right through the wall. I placed my eye
    to it, and could see the dark trees
    outside the house, flecked with moonlight.
    I locked the door then, and sat up
    all night, drinking small cups of the
    bitter local coffee. A dog
    would have been useful, I thought, for
    protection. But perhaps the one
    I had been given performed that
    function; for no one came that night,
    nor for three more. On the fourth day
    it was time to leave. The dog-skin
    still hung on the wall, stiff and dry
    by now, the flies and the smell gone.
    Could it, I wondered, have been meant
    not as a warning, but a gift?
    And, scarcely shuddering, I drew
    the nails out and took it with me.

    ReplyDelete